Sunday, February 26, 2012

Baked Chicken & Pasta

I found this recipe in the March issue of Real Simple. It called for all sorts of things that Matt and I thought were less than healthy in the amounts that they requested.... so I modified it. Because I am smart enough to be able to do that. 

Here is what I needed:
  • 2 Tbsp. butter
  • 1/4 c. flour
  • 2 c. skim milk
  • 1 c. sour cream
  • 1 box pasta (we used shells, but rotini or elbows would be good too)
  • 2 c. shredded chicken (I make some every weekend, Matt snacks on it all week)
  • 5 oz. baby spinach
  • spices
  • Spray butter
  • bread crumbs (we used corn flake)
Here is what I did:
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. 
  2. Heat skillet and melt butter. Add flour and whisk together to avoid burning. Add milk in two parts. Keep whisking.
  3. Take butter off stove and whisk in sour cream.
  4. Cook pasta. I learned elsewhere in the magazine that you should always cook in lots of water (we knew that) and to salt the water once it has boiled, not before. Drain and return to pot.
  5. Add chicken, spinach, milk mixture, and spices to the pasta. Mix and mix. And then get Matt to mix. 
  6. Put everything into a glass 9x13 pan. No need to grease it up. Sprinkle with crumbs. Spray with butter. 
  7. Bake for 10-15 minutes. Until it is crispy enough for you. 
Ours needed more spices. Ours also had cheese and corn. But not enough of either.  And remember how I took this out of Real Simple? Well, I wrote on the recipe what I did differently and what it needed. That way I know for next time.

This was a totally standard pasta bake. It wasn't spectacular. But it was dinner tonight. When I eat it for lunch tomorrow, I will add broccoli and some more spices.

No comments:

Post a Comment