Monday, July 25, 2011

Mid Summer Book Review

I love summer vacation because I have time to read!  Here are the books I have read so far this summer and my thoughts.  Click on the titles to go to Amazon and read the whole review.
  1. I started Caleb's Crossing by Geraldine Brooks. 
    I started it.  I couldn't get into the storyline at all.  I kept trying to get into the story, and maybe if I had kept going, but I didn't.
  2. The Help by Kathryn Stockett. 
    I read it with Colleen & Sarah for our "book club."  I loved it.  I cannot wait to see the movie.  I hope they live up to each other.  I couldn't put the book down.  It takes place in Jackson, Mississippi during the 60's - right in the heart of race problems.  My favorite part of the book...were the story telling moments.  That doesn't mean much I guess, but I enjoyed the characters talking about their processes for the stories. 
  3. The Apothecary's Daughter by Julie Klassen.
    LOVE LOVE LOVE.  It was a story about a family and how it changed, expanded, and survived.  It was a book about a daughter's love and the evolution of that love.  I couldn't put it down to save my day.   
  4. Before I Go To Sleep by S.J. Watson
    OMG - this book was so beyond intriguing.  The story is similar to the movie 50 First Dates, with Adam Sandler & Drew Barrymore.  A woman wakes up and doesn't know who she is or how she got there.  And then she is much older than she remembers herself being.  There is a phone call and a notebook but I am not going to tell you anything else about the plot because it will give away the whole book.  This was my favorite book of the summer!!!!!!!!
  5. Sarah Addison Allen.  Garden Spells, The Peach Keeper, The Sugar Queen 
    I love this author.  Her books, the words leap off the page.  I cannot stop reading them.  I loved loved loved both
    The Peach Keeper & The Sugar Queen and I cannot wait to start reading Garden Spells.  What I have noticed so far is that the supernatural exists in her books and there might be some small tragedy in them as well.  Oh I cannot wait for another one of her books!  
  6. The Secret Lives of Dresses by Erin McKean.
    This is my current book.  I have started this and I am loving it.  It starts with a family disaster and goes way uphill from there.  I cannot wait to keep reading it!

and those are my books so far.  not bad.  have to run though, my books are calling me

No comments:

Post a Comment