Thursday, July 5, 2012


On Wednesday, we turned in our keys at school. Then Colleen & I went out for lunch and got mani-pedis. We spent the rest of the afternoon packing because we were going to the beach!!!! For 18 days. !!!!!!! EEKS SO EXCITED!!!! I am still so excited I don't even know where to start writing.

Okay so from the beginning. Last summer Colleen & I decided that we were going to the beach. And we were going for two weeks. And we were going when we wanted to. And then everyone could join us. In the past we have had a group and tried to make it work for everyone for a week. But it is so much hassle (no offense to our friends).

So on Thursday morning, we woke up and finished packing. At 11:30 Colleen came over and we finished packing the cars and had lunch. Then at 11:56 we were off!!! We had a wonderful drive over the bridge and to the shore. We stopped at Elmer's farmer market for tons of fruit. And then it was onward to Grandma's house!

Colleen's grandmother is one of the nicest grandmother's I have met. She was so great about the dogs staying with her for a few days. The dogs made themselves at home in the living room. Thursday evening we rode our bikes down to the beach and around Bethany. We bought Fisher's popcorn and walked the boardwalk.

And then the days started blending together... in a wonderful way. On the first Saturday, we spent the day at the beach. Then Colleen went and picked up the KEYS TO OUR HOUSE!!!! The house was great. The upstairs had two big bedrooms with queen beds. And the living space was awesome! A nice kitchen with more counter space than I have at home, and a big living room. No big space for eating, but that was what the dock and porch were for. We made it work every time.

So let's see here. It was just the two of us while we were at Grandma's house. On Saturday, while we were unpacking, Colleen's BF joined us. He "chaperoned" us for three days. During which, we did nothing noteworthy... We went the grocery store, the beach, the boardwalk. On Saturday, we went crabbing off the dock. John was super successful! 

And then we had crabs for dinner. Not the same ones we caught. They tossed those back. Yum. Crab dinner.

We completed our first puzzle and blew up an outlet. I was cooking dinner, and we smelled smoke - but not from my food... it was strange. We couldn't find the smoke for a little while. And then there was smoke coming from a cabinet? Nope. The back of the fridge?!?!?! Nope. The can opener? Yup. From the outlet where it was plugged in? Yup. Oh. Okay. Colleen called maintenance and they took the outlet apart. They had to break into the garage to find the breakers. Smart people. Seriously. The next morning an electrician came and fixed us up good. 

John left us on Tuesday. We had about 6 hours before my hubs showed up. We spent the day on the beach and we each got burned... and at some point a frozen pitcher showed up on the beach... and the bike ride home was questionable at best. 

On Wednesday, two of Colleen's brothers joined us. One biological and one less so. With their ladies. We spent the day at the beach and had a great time playing cards late into the night.

On Thursday, Leela & Rachel joined our group. Matt & I went to visit family who were 30 minutes away. We finally got to see our cousin Adam's new home. It was such a nice treat to be with family.

Friday. It rained all day. All day. All day. So the ladies took a trip to the outlets. Colleen did a great job spending all the monies!

For the weekend, we had a full house. Lots of people joined us on Friday. Karaline, Meaghan, and Jackie. John came back on Saturday. And Alicia joined us too.

We spent another Saturday on the beach and then had crabs for dinner. After dinner we played corn hole and had midnight canoe races. Colleen's Dad and Alicia smoked everyone else's times! They were quick.

Sunday was another day on the beach. There was a pattern here I think. And then most of the ladies had to leave.

Leela, Colleen, John, Matt, & I were left. But John left on Monday. And Roxy & Scott joined us that night. Shenanigans.

On Thursday, Matt & Leela went home in the morning. Roxy spent the day on the beach with us and then took Scott home. And Alicia came back with her roomie for dinner! Alicia was trouble! She could not drink her drink to save her life. But boy could she wear it. So we gave her a sippy cup.

They were gone Friday morning. And then it was just us again. We took the dogs to the beach. As expected, Misty went in the water with me (not with Colleen) and Bones was fine until he realized that the ocean was made of WATER!!! We spent the rest of morning cleaning up and getting ready to move out. And then we spent the day reading on the porch.

Saturday we packed and left our house. It was hard to say goodbye to the house. And then we spent the day on the beach. That habit was sure hard to break. We were biking home when we realized that we left our magnets on the fridge. So I went and knocked on the door only to realize that I knew the people staying in the house. WEIRD! It was my student's family. Hi. That's awkward. I thought I had seen the father earlier in the day around the house but doubted myself until he let me in the house. And there was my student in the kitchen with a box of cereal suspended in the air - like what is my Spanish teacher doing here?!?!?!? But that was fun.

Sunday, we had every intention of going home. But there was a huge storm at home Saturday night. And we didn't have any power. But Grandma did. So we stayed another night. Which meant another day on the beach!!!

We ended the trip the same way we started it - on the boardwalk watching people trip on the sidewalk while drinking beer.

Monday we came home. And we started planning for next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment