Sunday, April 15, 2012

A jewelry solution!

Let's see, almost 6 years ago I had a roommate who had an amazing rack for hanging her jewelry. Her mother had an old window and put a screen behind it. It was perfect for hanging jewelry. And it was huge! It was a house window. There was space for all her earrings and hanging space on the window for cup hooks to hold her necklaces and bracelets.

I asked Matt to build me a similar jewelry rack around the same time. He built me a beautiful foot and a half square. It held maybe 1/3 of my earrings and 1/2 my necklaces. It just never worked out the way we wanted it to.

For the last 3 years (since we have been living together) I have been looking for a better solution. I had the jewelry tree. It was overflowing. I had pushpins in the wall. They were a mess.

A few weeks ago we were at Home Depot and I found a solution!
I found a metal grate cover. There were a number of different patterns - sound circular, some rectangular. And it was perfect!

Matt found a very pretty (and feminine) piece of molding to use for the front. And he sandwiched the metal between the front and the back piece of molding. We spray painted the whole thing "Oil Rub Bronze." It was the can we had in the basement. And voila - I have the most amazing earring display ever!

Best part - the whole thing cost us about $15. To say "I love it" is the biggest understatement in the world!




No comments:

Post a Comment