Monday, August 15, 2011

Colorado, Part 2

August 9
Eliza had a different Dr. Appt. today.  She is one smart lady for scheduling all these while there are two extra bodies around to take care of her cuties.  Today, we all went together.  Julie held A. and knitted (shocker, well actually she hasn’t done much of that since we got here).  G & I ran up and down the hallways at the Dr’s office going “vroom.”  Also, G. learned two new words today – pop & boom!  From a game I had been playing with her!  WIN!

When we got home it was time for a nap.  And a new diaper.  G & I have been sharing large iced teas (well I have been drinking the iced tea and then filling up the cup with water for her) and we drank 4 large cups worth of water this morning while running.  Ravioli for lunch.  G woke up.  And since today was so wonderful (i.e. NOT HOT!!!!) we went to Garden of the Gods.  It is a natural rock formation that is pretty spectacular.  There are no words to describe it at all, so I won’t even try.  

For dinner Julie and I made pizza.  I bought the dough on Saturday at Poor Richard’s.  Tonight I sautéed onions & garlic, butternut squash & zucchini.  On the pizza we added mozzarella and turkey sausage.  It was amazing, if I do say so myself.  And considering that Matt normally cooks pizza (well calzones) in our house, I was mighty proud of myself.  We also had a side of asparagus.  I think I am still trying to make up for all the fried food from the first part of this trip.  

August 10
Today was an around the house kind of day.  There was playtime in the morning, followed by naptime, then lunch, and then more naptime.  Then we got ourselves together for an outing.  We left early in the hopes of having a cupcake, but the shop was closed.  So we found a different bakery down the road and bought a cupcake, 2 rum balls, 2 peanut butter cups, and an orange-cinnamon roll.  Everything was good except for the cupcake.  I thought it was dry and the icing just blah.  I liked the sprinkles the best – and that is pretty bad for a cupcake. 

We were actually on our way to a FRG meeting.  It is a group for the families of people in the army.  Eliza is in charge because Sam is in charge.  They met at the bowling alley and then we all bowled.  By the time we got home it was late and way past G’s bedtime, but she ate dinner and got ready for bed like a champ!  I made zucchini, butternut squash, and beans for dinner over salad.  It was delicious!  I also found some goat’s milk brie!  LOVE LOVE LOVE!  We watched So You Think You Can Dance (everyone is now addicted – shame it is already the end of the season) and went to bed.    

August 11
I am very conflicted.  Today is the last day of the trip.  I am looking forward to seeing my wonderful husband again tomorrow, but I will miss the ladies.  This trip has made me so grateful for the friendships I have but regretful for leaving them alone for so long.  Does that make any sense?  I have missed these ladies so much since we graduated college; wait, since we got home from Spain 7 years ago.  I say this every year, but I think having spent the last two weeks with women (& their families) whom I truly love, that I actually will keep in touch better.  Because without them, my life is less full. 

So today.  Was a sneaky kind of day.  Last night, Julie made a comment to be that I made sure happened today.  We gave Eliza 12 hours (Starting last night at 9:19pm) to come up with something to do OUTSIDE OF THE HOUSE and ALL BY HERSELF!  I mean seriously, there were 2 of us left to contend with 2 sleeping babies – how hard could it be? Especially since they loved and trusted us.  No sweat.  And seriously, when had Eliza spent any time alone in the last few weeks, wait months.  So this afternoon, we kicked Eliza out!  Then we ate lunch and played in the rain.  She went shopping for clothing for HERSELF!!!  And brought us home groceries so I could make stuffed shells for dinner.  We did forget about the eggs, and then the cheese after Julie had come home from the grocery store.  But it was delicious.  I stuffed them with ricotta, mozzarella, mushrooms, zucchini, and spinach.  YUM. 

Tonight we also watched the season finale of So You Think You Can Dance!!!!!  LOVE!  Funny, because my darling husband called me right before we started watching it to tell me that he knew who won already! I mean well, duh, different time zone!  But that he approved of the winner.  I have fought every urge to call him back now and tell him that I know also!  But it is almost 3 in the morning his time, so that is just NOT happening.  Especially if I want him to pick me up tomorrow.

In other news, I finished my quilt tonight!!!! With tons of help, support, and patience from the SPECTACULAR Julie!  She has been so wonderful throughout the whole process!  I couldn’t have picked it up so quickly without her (and her sewing machine!! hehe).  

Off to pack.  Then bed.  Then play with the munchkins for a little while before Julie takes me to the airport.  Sad night.

August 12
Today was the longest day of flying ever.  The flights were completely uneventful - thank goodness.  Just long.  Metro home.  I called Matt to pick me up.  When I got in the car he told me two very interesting things.  First - I was supposed to call when I transferred lines (so he could have bought me flowers on the way to pick me up).  Second, he baked me a cake!  He intended to make me cupcakes, but he couldn't figure out where the liners were, and he couldn't call and ask.  But the best part, only 1/4 of the cake was left when I got home!  I love my husband!  He is too funny!


  1. And damn! Way to go, Matt! (And you, Deb, for scoring him.)

  2. We miss you, too! But it was so awesome to spend so much time together. Maybe we should make this a habit!

    (Also, not sure why your blog insists I'm "unknown," but I'm not going to let the fickleness of technology stop me from commenting... -Julie)